Monday, May 5, 2008

My Mother's Last Days

My Mother



On September 6th 2007 my mom passed away not even one month into her 80th Birthday. She was diagnosed with colon cancer in late April of last year during the first physical examination of her life. My father had been after her for years to go and get a check up as he did once a year. My mom always refused. She lived a healthy lifestyle, took vitamins, ate right and was never sick that I can remember. She was active but never got regular exercise like my dad. I also found out for the first time (after she passed) that she was constipated her entire life. My father told me this, through the years I had noticed Metamucil and other digestion remedies, but I never put any of that together.



The physician who had examined her, scheduled surgery for approximately a week after she’d been diagnosed. She went home and immediately began complaining of pain in her abdomen. She became bloated and very nauseas. She had been the one that had gone to my father and asked him to see if he’d arrange an appointment for a physical. Of course he was mildly shocked as he’d never been able to get her to go in the past. He asked her if she felt ok, she said she did, but he wasn’t really buying it.



After the diagnosis was confirmed they were stunned and very afraid. But when she was getting worse so soon after her physical he was terrified, remember, this was the woman he’d been married to for fifty-one-years, and the mother of their four children.



In recent years she’d seemed to have gotten frailer, a little quieter, and strangely thinner. When I’d questioned her about losing weight she said she hadn’t been trying to. All these years had come down to such a short period of time.

She collapsed in the living room and my dad called 911. She was rushed into emergency surgery and the cancerous tumor was removed from her large intestines. A few days later she was home and resting. They called us one at a time and explained the ordeal. My mom called my dad her “hero”. They have a house down on the west coast of Florida. As she got better, they went for long walks on the beach and watched the sun set together.

My dad sent us pictures of the two of them down there, so happy my mom got a second chance.



After her operation, my father talked with another doctor who was skilled in treating cancer and suggesting proper therapy. They talked of chemotherapy and the doctor handed him a paper she’d printed out on the computer.

It stated that anyone 80-years, and older, would not be treated with chemotherapy as it would be too powerful a drug for them to survive.

Anyway, she was given a good chance at a full recovery as the doctors had said it appeared the cancer had not spread.



About a month later my dad called and said my mom had taken a turn for the worse, she was not responding well to her latest chemo treatment.

Of course I was shocked and asked why she was on chemo anyway. He said the same doctor who had decided not to treat her thought it might be a good idea to try it because she was healing so amazingly well as she put it.

They started her on an oral form of treatment initially, and then progressed to a more aggressive “drip” procedure. My father told me there was a large room at the treatment center that contained a bank of what looked like “barber chairs” to him. They were lined along the walls, about twenty-chairs in all. Every chair was occupied, each person receiving metered dosages of the powerful systemic drug.

The session lasted three-hours, and cost eight-thousand dollars. Luckily my folks had a very comprehensive health plan.



After a few of these expensive treatments my mom began to suffer from severe diarrhea and dehydration. My father went on-line and looked up her treatment, finding that diarrhea, and dehydration, could be extreme side effects of her form of treatment. He was never informed of this by the doctor or attending staff. Just simply, “she may feel a little nausea” and he was given a prescription for some pills to ease her discomfort.



Again she collapsed but begged him not to take her back to the hospital. He called 911, as she had soon fainted.

I talked with her a few days later and she told me that nothing seemed to be working. That was so unlike my mom who was such a fighter, and the ultimate optimist. Three days later she was gone, late in the afternoon of September 6th, the same day as my daughter’s Birthday. My dad was at her side holding her hand as she slipped away.



We flew out the next morning to be with him and get my mom’s affairs in order. It was the most surreal and sad moment of my entire life. My father spent an entire day calling relatives, and close friends of theirs to inform them of her passing, each call, the poor man cried his heart out, but he went on about the business of his sudden loss.



I realized then and there, that my poor mom died of ill-advised treatment, and not from the cancer. She was a customer not a patient. My mom’s mother, our grandmother, is 105-years-old, and she’s still living. She doesn’t, and never will know, of her daughter’s passing. I made a decision to learn of proper nutrition down to the details. If I can preserve my health and not have to enter a hospital for the rest of my life, then that’s what I’m going to do. My sister decided to go back to school and become a nurse. She feels that people are shuffled and processed like cattle in hospitals. It’s because of the system that has been put in place by this federal government, big pharma, and the insurance companies.



I’ve gone into business for myself selling organic products and supplements. One of these products is a digestive super food called: Mi-inliven probiotics. I’ve written about this before and I won’t stop. My biggest regret is not doing this just a year sooner. I could have been there for my mom and known better than to have her take that killer chemotherapy. Don’t look to your government or the FDA for answers, certainly not for your health. Find out for yourselves. Don’t shop for drugs by watching commercials on television. That’s what they want…you asking your doctor if this drug’s right for you. It isn’t, they’re synthetic poison that can sicken or kill you. Get informed, and don’t let yourself get sick before you do something. Without your health what does anything else matter? Health is your MOST valuable asset and it’s so easy to do the right thing for your body. Please don’t end up in the hospital. Thanks for reading and I hope I can make just one person help themselves. I won’t stop until I do.



Graham

No comments: